Partnership Based Visas
JOIN OR BRING YOUR PARTNER TO NEW ZEALAND
If your partner holds (or applies for) a student or work visa, or is New Zealand citizen/resident, you may be eligible to join them on a partnership visa.
To be eligible:
- You must be coming to New Zealand to join or accompany your partner
- You must prove that you are living in a genuine and stable relationship
- You must both intend to be in New Zealand for the same amount of time
- You must meet health and character requirements
Your relationship with your partner
You and your partner must have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12 months or more.
To prove your relationship to Immigration New Zealand, you would be asked to provide supporting evidence, such as:
- how long you’ve been together
- how long you’ve been living together
- that you share finances and other responsibilities
- that you spend time together, eg photos together, emails and social media conversations between you
- that other people recognise your relationship
- anything else you think shows you and your partner are living together in a genuine and stable relationship.
What type of visa my partner can apply?
If your partner is a New Zealand resident/citizen, but you have been together for less than 12 months, you may be granted a temporary work visa valid for a maximum of 24 months.
If your partner is a work visa holder, your partnership work visa would be granted for the same duration as theirs.
If your partner is a student visa holder, you may be able to come for the same amount of time, but they can only sponsor you if they are studying: